The St. Louis Children’s Hospital Department of Therapy Services provides occupational, physical, and speech therapy within an individualized state-of-the-art model of care in conjunction with world class physicians and medical practices.
As a highly trained pediatric team with an international reputation for excellence, we utilize a widely accessible, family-centered, collaborative approach. Families trust and rely on us to fulfill their needs and to take care of their children as if they were our own. The staff tailors therapy to each child's developmental stage and individualneeds for the most effective results.
Physical Therapists work with children who have neuromuscular conditions that affect body functions. Working on strengthening, range of motion, endurance, walking and balance can help children improve mobility and return them to a previous functional status or an age-appropriate level.
Occupational Therapists help children stay engaged in activities that give them pleasure or a sense of purpose. Some of these activities may include self-care skills, feeding, play, developmental skills, visual perception, handwriting, and fine motor skills. Specific therapeutic approaches may include sensory integration strategies, adaptive equipment, splinting and casting, and activities that promote increased functional use of upper extremities.
Speech-Language Pathologists are licensed, certified professionals who provide evaluation and treatment for:
- Oral-motor function
- Verbal and written language content and form (syntax)
- Interactive communication and discourse
- Auditory and/or visual processing and memory
- Swallowing/oropharyngeal function
- Augmentative/alternative communication
Speech pathologists work with the patient, family and treatment team to develop functional communication and improved speech.
Our facilities, on the 4th floor of the hospital, provide the children we serve with a bright, uplifting environment in which to learn, grow and explore, while addressing their therapeutic needs. Some of the features of our space include:
- Ameren Activity Island -- a fun sensory - integrative motor activity gym
- Bank of America Sports Medicine Gym -- An area dedicated to the young athlete’s specific therapeutic needs
- St. Louis Variety Club Adaptive Kitchen -- A kitchen designed to flex and meet the needs of a variety of therapy recipients
For convenient outpatient care, many therapy services are also available at the St. Louis Children's Specialty Care Center.