||CARE ADVICE FOR NEWBORNS WITHOUT SIGNS OF ILLNESS
- What You Should Know:
- Based on this review, your baby doesn't have any signs of illness right now.
- During the early weeks of life, careful watching is always the best approach.
- Call Your Doctor If:
- Your baby starts to look or act abnormal in any way
And remember, contact your doctor if your child develops any of the "Call Your Doctor" symptoms.
||Causes & Health Information
Why Newborns Need to be Watched Closely
- Newborns are at higher risk for infections. Infections may present at any time during the first month. Watch your baby carefully for signs of illness. This is especially crucial during the first 7 days of life.
- Newborns who get a blood infection (sepsis) can get very sick quickly.
- The symptoms of serious illness in newborns can be subtle. The question below deals with sick newborns:
- "Age under 1 month old (newborn) and starts to look or act abnormal in any way". Look for this question in the "Call Your Doctor Now" section. It is listed in at least 10 topics.
- Feeding is the one reliable measure of a newborn’s well being. Newborns should be eating machines. If your baby isn't feeding well, call your baby's doctor. Also, call if your baby has an abrupt change in his feeding pattern. (Exception: never a good feeder, but takes enough milk and nothing has changed).
- If your newborn's appearance or behavior changes and you think it's abnormal, call now. Don't wait to call your baby's doctor for expert advice.