Surgery: What to Expect
Pre-surgery confirmation call
- A Same Day Surgery nurse will call you between 2 and 6 p.m. the day before your child’s surgery or the Friday prior if your child is having surgery on Monday.
- If you have not received a call by 5 p.m. the weekday before your procedure, please call the Same Day Surgery office at 314.454.6174.
- The nurse will review your child’s medical history and current health status as well as discuss how to handle the medications your child is taking.
- The nurse’s call is also intended to give parents an opportunity to ask any questions about their child’s procedure. We welcome all questions, so please do not hesitate to call.
Instructions for parents
- Please listen carefully to the times your child must stop eating or drinking.
- Please do not give your child any products containing aspirin or ibuprofen during the two weeks prior to surgery unless you have consulted your child’s surgeon.
- Children should be bathed and have their teeth brushed the night before surgery. Those having orthopedic surgery should have their nails cleaned and trimmed.
For more information, visit Same Day Surgery.
- Patients requiring a stay of 23 hours or more are admitted to the hospital.
- Orthopedic surgery patients are generally admitted to 10th floor as census allows.
- Inpatient team:
- Attending physician and resident physicians
- Physical therapists
- Child life therapy
- Social work
- Patient care assistants
For more information, visit Inpatient Surgery.