What is Patient- and Family-Centered Care?
We believe that patient- and family-centered care is an essential part of each family's experience at St. Louis Children’s Hospital.
Family-centered care is an approach to health care where patients, families and health-care professionals form a working partnership that benefits everyone involved. A “family” is recognized as anyone whom patients regard as significant in their lives. Families are not considered “visitors” but essential nurturers, caregivers and participants in the care and decisions that affect the total healing of the child. Health-care providers communicate and share all relevant information with patients and families in ways that are affirming and useful. Patient- and family-centered care focuses on the child and family’s strengths, instead of limitations, and appreciates diversity across ethnic, geographic, age and economic lines. It allows for and supports patients and families to be connected with others dealing with similar health issues for emotional, spiritual and practical support.
Key Elements of Patient- and Family-Centered Care
- We recognize that family is the constant in a patient’s life
- We facilitate family and professional collaboration at all levels of health care
- We honor racial, ethnic, cultural, age and socioeconomic diversity in all families
- We recognize and respect the differences in family strengths, individuality and coping methods and try to build on those
- We continually and supportively share with patients and families complete and unbiased information
- We encourage and facilitate family support and networking
- We understand and incorporate developmental needs into our health care systems and delivery
- We implement policies and programs that provide emotional and financial support to all families
- We aim to design accessible health care that is flexible, culturally competent and responsive to family-identified needs
- We offer choices, whenever possible, and support the patient and family in their decisions
We want to be sensitive and responsive to the unique needs of all of our patients and families each time we meet. If you have any questions about how patient- and family-centered care relates to you during your stay with us, or if you have ideas on how we could better serve your family during your stay, please call 314.454.2153 or send an email to:SLCHfamilycenteredcare@bjc.org