The Joe Buck Imaging Center at St. Louis Children’s Hospital is a leader in providing safe, high-quality and child-focused pediatric imaging services.
- The Joe Buck Imaging Center provides the largest pediatric radiology team in the region and performs more than 100,000 pediatric radiology exams each year.
- Decorated in a colorful sports motif, the area includes a new aquarium; X-Box games for waiting patients; and sports memorabilia autographed by Tom Brady, Albert Pujols, Tony Hawk, and more.
- Every test is read by a pediatric-trained specialist, nationally certified in pediatric radiology by the American Board of Radiology.
- We specialize in kids. Our equipment, dosing and imaging expertise is highly specialized for newborns, children and adolescents.
- We use the most advanced imaging devices in the world, including the FLASH CT scanner, capable of delivering high-quality images with the lowest amount of radiation dosing.
- We deliver same day results to your primary care physicians. On-site specialists are available for immediate follow-up care or treatment if needed.
- We are open every day, including evenings and weekends, even for specialized tests.
- A dedicated interventional pediatric radiology suite accommodates minimally-invasive procedures using X-ray and ultrasound.
- For procedures requiring sedation, our team works with pediatric anesthesiologists to provide a safe, comfortable, and even “ouchless” experience.
- Radiologists are faculty of Washington University School of Medicine and Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology, and lead the way in discovering better treatments for childhood disease and cutting-edge solutions.
|Medical Radiation: Why Choose a Pediatric Imaging Center?|
The Joe Buck Imaging Center at St. Louis Children’s Hospital is committed to reducing radiation exposure for pediatric patients who receive imaging services. To accomplish this, we follow national guidelines to keep radiation dose as low as reasonably possible and choose the safest, most appropriate test for your child.
Radiology technologists at St. Louis Children’s Hospital are specially trained in pediatric imaging, which results in reduced radiation exposure and scan time, as well as the need for sedation. Our dedicated technologists possess the expertise to interact with children to receive the highest quality exam.
When sedation is necessary, our radiologists coordinate with a team of nurse anesthetists, pediatric hospitalists, and pediatric anesthesiologists, which allows us to provide the safest and most appropriate level of sedation for the patient.
Awards and Acknowledgements
- PRC 90th Percentile for Patient Satisfaction
- CHCA Race for Results top 10 finalist, 2012
- AHRA Best Practices in Radiology Quality & Economics Award, 2011
- Missouri Safe Care Award, 2010
- Barbara Cole Quality Award, 2002 and 2006
- Quality award 2002 and 2006
- Five Star Excellence Award 2008 for scoring in the top 10% nationally on “Excellent” responses evaluating outpatient radiology services' overall quality of care
Child Life Services
A Child Life Specialist works in collaboration with the radiology team to provide an overall positive experience. Child Life Specialists strive to reduce anxiety that may be related to medical procedures by preparing children and families based on the child’s developmental level. Child Life specialist encourage healthy coping techniques and the normalization of the hospital experience.
- All services available 24 hours a day
- Scheduled appointment times are as follows:
- Radiography (X-ray): 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., 7 days a week
- Ultrasound: 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., 7 days a week
- CT: 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday - Friday
- MRI: 7 a.m. to 8 p.m., Monday - Friday
- Nuclear medicine: 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday - Friday
- Interventional radiology: 7 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday - Friday
Joe Buck Imaging Center: 314.454.6139