Cardiology & Heart Surgery Ranked by U.S. News. Read more
Fetal Heart Center
For referrals call Children's Direct at 800.678.HELP (4357)
The Fetal Heart Center at St. Louis Children’s Hospital specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of fetal cardiac conditions in a pediatric setting.
- All pediatric cardiologists in the Fetal Heart Center are specially trained in fetal echocardiography and prenatal diagnosis of congenital heart disease.
- The Fetal Heart Center uses a team approach for the screening, diagnosis and care of fetal heart disorders. Mothers and families are referred through a centralized contact for fetal evaluation of suspected anomalies, including congenital heart disease and cardiac arrhythmia. During their visits to the Fetal Heart Center, expectant mothers have the opportunity to meet the team of fetal cardiologist, neonatologist, cardio-thoracic surgeon, social worker and other specialists dedicated and uniquely qualified to provide this specialized care.
- Each family is given written materials and consults with a pediatric cardiologist to review details of identified cardiac abnormalities.
- A parent support group, Heart to Heart, is open to parents and family members of children with congenital heart defects.
- A social worker will meet with the family to offer support. A primary contact person within the Fetal Heart Center is in constant communication with the medical team throughout the pregnancy and after delivery to assure proper continuity of care.
- Each family is introduced to all members of the Fetal Heart Center team and receives an orientation to St. Louis Children’s Hospital.
- The Fetal Heart Center will also coordinate plans for the delivery of the baby and transfer to St. Louis Children’s Hospital for post-natal confirmation of diagnosis and management.