Points of Distinction
Here is why many patients choose our Heart Center :
- The largest pediatric heart team in the region that includes cardiac intensivists; cardiothoracic surgeons; cardiologists; cardiac interventionalists; electrophysiologists; cardiac anesthesiologists; and 86 dedicated clinical staff.
- A collaborative approach to care involving physicians, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, nurses, dieticians, physical therapist, occupational therapist, speech therapist, pharmacist, respiratory therapist, social workers, child life therapist- all with specific education and clinical expertise in caring for heart patients .
- An active and experienced ECMO team, with 36 pump cases to date in 2011.
- A Dedicated inpatient home that includes a Cardiac Intensive Care Unit (CICU) a 26-bed Progressive Care Unit; Two biplane cardiac catheterization / Electrophysiology laboratories; Labs; Cardiac Cath Recovery Unit; and a CT scanner; all on the same floor.
- Dedicated cardiac surgical operating room for heart patient
- Unparalled heart failure and transplant program…the region’s largest, having performed over 350 heart transplants in children with a 91% one year survival rate.
- Cardiac diagnostic and interventional catheterization labs
- Electrophysiology lab with 3D imaging capability and intracardiac echocardiography, performing radiofrequency and cryoablation, as well as pacemaker and defibrillator implantation
- Capability of performing hybrid procedures with 7 years experience
- Heart Station Testing Center (echocardiography; electrocardiogram; Holter Monitor/Event Recorder; exercise testing)
- State-of-the-Art Imaging Center with direct link to operating room
- Adult congenital heart program to help children transition to adult care.
- Fetal Heart Center for expectant mothers when the fetus is diagnosed with congenital heart disease.
- Preventive cardiology clinic that educates and counsels families of children with heart disease and cardiovascular risk factors such as obesity, high cholesterol and high blood pressure
- Innovative care- our surgeons performed the first ABO-incompatible pediatric heart transplant. Very few of these rare surgeries have been performed around the world.
- Our clinicians are internationally recognized leaders in scientific studies from exploring the abnormal development of an infant’s cardiovascular system to a multi center clinical trial that tested implantation of a device to correct heart abnormalities.
- Mark Anderson, John Poe, and Mark Shepard of the St. Louis Children’s Hospital Perfusion department have received the designation of Fellow of Pediatric Perfusion (FPP) from the American Society of ExtraCorporeal Technology. The FPP recognizes exemplary pediatric perfusionists who demonstrate professional and clinical expertise in the field of adult and pediatric congenital heart surgery. It is bestowed on those who are leaders and contributors to the advancement of evidence-based practice and pursuit of educational knowledge in the field of perfusion technology.