Cardiology & Heart Surgery Ranked by U.S. News. Read more
Points of Distinction
Here is why many patients choose our Heart Center :
- The largest pediatric heart team in the region that includes cardiac intensivists; cardiothoracic surgeons; cardiologists; cardiac interventionalists; electrophysiologists; cardiac anesthesiologists; and 86 dedicated clinical staff.
- A collaborative approach to care involving physicians, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, nurses, dieticians, physical therapist, occupational therapist, speech therapist, pharmacist, respiratory therapist, social workers, child life therapist- all with specific education and clinical expertise in caring for heart patients .
- An active and experienced ECMO team, with 36 pump cases to date in 2011.
- A Dedicated inpatient home that includes a Cardiac Intensive Care Unit (CICU) a 26-bed Progressive Care Unit; Two biplane cardiac catheterization / Electrophysiology laboratories; Labs; Cardiac Cath Recovery Unit; and a CT scanner; all on the same floor.
- Dedicated cardiac surgical operating room for heart patient
- Unparalled heart failure and transplant program…the region’s largest, having performed over 350 heart transplants in children with a 91% one year survival rate.
- Cardiac diagnostic and interventional catheterization labs
- Electrophysiology lab with 3D imaging capability and intracardiac echocardiography, performing radiofrequency and cryoablation, as well as pacemaker and defibrillator implantation
- Capability of performing hybrid procedures with 7 years experience
- Heart Station Testing Center (echocardiography; electrocardiogram; Holter Monitor/Event Recorder; exercise testing)
- State-of-the-Art Imaging Center with direct link to operating room
- Adult congenital heart program to help children transition to adult care.
- Fetal Heart Center for expectant mothers when the fetus is diagnosed with congenital heart disease.
- Preventive cardiology clinic that educates and counsels families of children with heart disease and cardiovascular risk factors such as obesity, high cholesterol and high blood pressure
- Innovative care- our surgeons performed the first ABO-incompatible pediatric heart transplant. Very few of these rare surgeries have been performed around the world.
- Our clinicians are internationally recognized leaders in scientific studies from exploring the abnormal development of an infant’s cardiovascular system to a multi center clinical trial that tested implantation of a device to correct heart abnormalities.