Deformational Plagiocephaly Clinic
For appointments call 314.454.5437 or 800.678.5437
Is your baby’s head misshapen? If so, your infant may have what is called deformational plagiocephaly.
Early intervention by the time your baby reaches age 3-6 months is recommended, and the Deformational Plagiocephaly Clinic at St. Louis Children's Hospital can help.
The head may have been misshapen at birth or from your baby sleeping on his or her back. Infants who sleep on their backs or in car seats, swings or bouncy seats without alternating positions for long periods are also at a higher risk for the condition.
Treatment at the clinic generally includes positioning and/or helmeting.
How helmeting works:
- Gentle, persistent pressure is applied to the wider parts of the head while space is built into the helmet over flatter areas to capture the natural growth of an infant’s head.
- As the head grows, adjustments are made to the helmet every few weeks.
- The helmet essentially provides a closely fitting, round space for the head to grow into.
- Suite A on the second floor of St. Louis Children’s Hospital.
- Free parking is available in the St. Louis Children’s Hospital parking garage.
- Bring your parking ticket to the clinic for validation.