Student Volunteer Program
DISCLAIMER: The purpose and expectation of St. Louis Children’s Hospital Volunteer Services is to provide play, distraction and comfort to our patients, and to provide guest services to all guests of the hospital. If you are interested in shadowing any of our medical staff, completing an internship/externship or practicum, receiving clinical experience or expanding your knowledge of the medical field, VOLUNTEERING IS NOT WHAT YOU’RE LOOKING FOR. Please contact the specific medical department you are interested in working with to learn about potential opportunities.
Long-term Student Volunteer Program
The structure of the Volunteer Program is based on a consistent weekly schedule, which usually consists of one 3 to 4 hour shift a week. All student volunteers will be required to serve a minimum of 75 hours of service over a 2-semester time period before written documentation of service will be released.
Currently, our greatest volunteer needs fall on weekdays between the hours of 9 a.m. and 4 p.m., though we do have limited opportunities in the evenings and weekends.
Service Project Students
We are always happy to accept students who need to complete their service projects for graduation credit. If you will volunteer during school hours, please contact our office to check if we have availability before submitting an application.
Students who need to do service for National Honor Society, or hours for class credit or graduation credit that need to be done on non-school time do not need to contact us for availability.
Please note: Volunteer Services will not release a written record or sign student forms until the 75 hour commitment has been achieved, even if fewer hours are required for school graduation credit, class credit, etc. After volunteers have reached the 75 hour commitment we will be able to release a record of hours or sign student forms.
Summer Student Program
We are no longer accepting applications for the 2014 Summer Program. Please attend a future information session if interested in starting in the Fall of 2014 or a long term Volunteer opportunity.
- Attend an upcoming Informational Session. Reservations and attendance at one of these sessions is required in order to submit an online application. Please see the dates for upcoming Information Sessions below and RSVP by sending us an e-mail to: email@example.com
- Submit an online application. Information on how to access the online application will be supplied at the mandatory Informational Sessions.
- Print two copies of the reference form, which is available here, and the Criminal History Background Check release and Authorization forms (only the top section needs to be completed on the Authorization form), which is available here. These will also be provided at the Information Session. The reference forms must be completed by non-family members (i.e. former/current employer, teacher/professor, school counselor, coworkers, etc.). Please submit all forms via fax or mail them in one envelope to the Volunteer Services Office:
Mail (all forms in one envelope):
One Children’s Place
St. Louis, Missouri 63110
- Once we have received and reviewed both the online application and Reference and Criminal History forms, you will be contacted with information regarding the next step*. If your schedule availability and volunteer interests match our current needs, you will receive information via e-mail or phone about upcoming New Volunteer Orientations. If we do not have a need for additional volunteers during your specified time of availability, you will receive a post-card in the mail noting your options.
*Note: You will not be contacted by Volunteer Services until your volunteer application has been reviewed. Your volunteer application will not be reviewed until you have attended a mandatory informational session and have submitted your online application, reference forms and criminal history form.
Information regarding Volunteer Health Requirements
If you are accepted as a volunteer candidate, you are required to supply the following documentation when you attend the New Volunteer Orientation.
- Current Immunization Record from physician. New volunteers are also required to provide documentation of TB test results from the current year of submitting an application as well as a seasonal flu shot during Flu Season.
2014 Information Session Dates
June 2014 Session is FULL
July 2014 Session is FULL
Wednesday, August 13th: 6 p.m. - 7 p.m.
Wednesday, September 10th: 6 p.m. - 7 p.m.