Student Volunteer Program
DISCLAIMER: The purpose and expectation of St. Louis Children’s Hospital Volunteer Services is to provide play, distraction and comfort to our patients, and to provide guest services to all guests of the hospital. If you are interested in shadowing any of our medical staff, completing an internship/externship or practicum, receiving clinical experience or expanding your knowledge of the medical field, VOLUNTEERING IS NOT WHAT YOU’RE LOOKING FOR. Please contact the specific medical department you are interested in working with to learn about potential opportunities.
Summer Student Volunteer Program
Information Sessions for the Summer program are full. All applicants attending the July and September Information Sessions will be considered for the Fall.
Long-term Student Volunteer Program
Please RSVP to attend an information session. All applicants attending the July and September Information Sessions will be considered for the Fall. The structure of the Volunteer Program is based on a consistent weekly schedule, which usually consists of one 3 to 4 hour shift a week. All student volunteers will be required to serve a minimum of 75 hours of service over a 2-semester time period before written documentation of service will be released.
Currently, our greatest volunteer needs fall on weekdays between the hours of 9 a.m. and 4 p.m., though we do have limited opportunities in the evenings and weekends.
Service Project Students
We are always happy to accept students who need to complete their service projects for graduation credit. If you will volunteer during school hours, please contact our office to check if we have availability before submitting an application.
Students who need to do service for National Honor Society, or hours for class credit or graduation credit that need to be done on non-school time do not need to contact us for availability.
Please note: Volunteer Services will not release a written record or sign student forms until the 75 hour commitment has been achieved, even if fewer hours are required for school graduation credit, class credit, etc. After volunteers have reached the 75 hour commitment we will be able to release a record of hours or sign student forms.
To apply for a volunteer opportunity follow our simple, 4-step process:
1. Attend an upcoming Volunteer Information Session. Here you will learn about the program expectations and commitment required to become a “Piece of our Puzzle.” We will also share the various volunteer roles available and provide an opportunity for you to hear from current St. Louis Children’s Hospital Volunteers. Please see below for dates and times of future Information Sessions and RSVP by sending an e-mail to: (firstname.lastname@example.org). You must RSVP in order to attend. Once you RSVP your name will be added to the attendance list. It is not customary for our department to respond back to the RSVP e-mail. Parking for the Information Session is available in St. Louis Children’s Hospital Visitor’s Garage (parking is paid). Please check in at the First Floor Information Desk, located in the St. Louis Children’s Hospital lobby, and you will be directed to the session by a Guest Services Representative.
2. Submit an online application. Information on how to access the online application will ONLY be provided at the Information Session.
3. Print two copies of the reference form, which is available here, and the Criminal History Background Check release and Authorization forms (only the top section needs to be completed on the Authorization form), which is available here. If your permanent address is in Illinois or you have lived in Illinois within the past 5 years, please complete State of Illinois Authorization for Background Check form, which is available here. The reference forms must be completed by non-family members (i.e. former/current employer, teacher/professor, school counselor, coworkers, etc.). Please submit all forms via fax, e-mail or mail them in one envelope to the Volunteer Services Office:
Mail: St. Louis Children’s Hospital Volunteer Services
One Children’s Place
St. Louis, Missouri 63110
4. A member from Volunteer Services or the Volunteer Selection Committee will review the Online Application, References and Background Check forms. If your schedule availability and volunteer interests match our current needs, you will receive information via e-mail or phone about upcoming New Volunteer Orientations and next steps.
*Note: Your volunteer application will not be reviewed until you have attended a mandatory information session and have submitted your online application, reference forms and background check forms.
Information regarding Volunteer Health Requirements
If you are accepted as a volunteer candidate, you are required to supply the following documentation prior to attending the New Volunteer Orientation.
- Current Immunization Record from physician. New volunteers are also required to provide documentation of TB test results from the current year of submitting an application as well as a seasonal flu shot during Flu Season.
2015 Information Session Dates
Tuesday, July 14th: 6 p.m. - 7 p.m.
Tuesday, September 8th: 6 p.m. - 7 p.m.