SHARP Hospitalist Program
SHARP, Service for Hospital Admissions by Referring Physicians, is an admitting service that gives you the option to admit to a specially-trained pediatric hospitalist on staff at Children's Hospital. With SHARP, our hospitalists oversee inpatient care for the hospitalized patients of referring physicians choosing to use the service.
Benefits of SHARP to referring physicians:
- Coordinated Care– The SHARP hospitalist team specializes in providing care to hospitalized patients at SLCH –coordinating consults, ordering and tracking tests, documenting procedures, and directing and teaching residents. Our on-site team works to streamline the patient’s care and deliver the high level of service you expect.
- Continuum of Care – The SHARP team communicates with the primary care provider throughout the patient’s stay to ensure that you are well informed about patient status and ongoing health care needs following discharge.
- 24/7 Responsiveness – Hospitalists are accessible 24 hours a day, 365 days a year for admissions, answers to questions or concerns, and to check patient status.
SHARP Hospitalist Team
The SHARP hospitalist team is comprised of experienced physicians. All are established within the metro St. Louis and Illinois pediatric community, and have been a pediatric hospitalist for a minimum of three years.
Working Together – A Partnered Approach
Our partnership with primary care providers is an essential component of the SHARP program. As the patient’s primary care provider, you will resume care of the child after hospitalization. Our goal is not only to provide high-quality inpatient medical care, but to communicate the important information you need for your post-discharge follow-up care. Key contact points from the hospitalist to you will include:
- Admission – SHARP hospitalist calls the PCP at admission.
- Inpatient Stay – Hospitalists contact the PCP with significant status changes and milestones throughout the patient’s stay. The hospitalist on service will visit the patient at least once daily.
- Discharge – Upon discharge, the hospitalist will call the PCP and also dictate a discharge letter, which will be faxed to the PCP office in a timely manner.
The SHARP team is easily accessible on a 24/7 basis via the hospital operator, as well as through a dedicated cell phone and pager system.
Admitting to SHARP
Admitting to SHARP is the same process as the existing admitting procedure: primary care providers contact Children’s Direct at 800.678.HELP (4357). The SHARP hospitalist on service will then work with you to establish the plan of care. If preferred, you may contact the hospitalist on service directly through the operator or by calling Children's Direct.
For More Information
To learn more about SHARP, contact Physician Services at 314.286.2969 or SLCH Physician Services@bjc.org