With the arrival of respiratory virus season, we are seeing all-time record patient volumes at pediatric hospitals and emergency departments across the nation. This may result in longer wait times for some of our families. Cases are handled in order of acuity, allowing us to focus on patients with life or limb-threatening injuries first. Families should consider alternative options for care such as After Hours for kids with mild symptoms. We appreciate your patience.
Get advice below on how to make your wait more comfortable.
- For mild COVID-19 symptoms, please call your primary care provider or 314.714.6472 for care recommendations.
For the protection and health of our patients and team members, two visitors at a time are permitted for Emergency Department patients. View our COVID-19 Special Visiting Policy
Manage the Wait
- Anticipate that your trip will last multiple hours.
- Our pediatric experts staff emergency departments at several of our sister BJC hospitals. If there are no times at St. Louis Children’s Hospital, find an emergency room near you to schedule your arrival time online. Check in now.
- If your child has mild symptoms and your pediatrician's office is closed, After Hours is available for walk-in treatment of many common respiratory viruses including RSV. Patients will be seen in order of arrival time unless emergency care is required. However, you may schedule your arrival time online to reduce your wait and help us prepare for your visit. All safety guidelines are being followed including masking for everyone over age 2.
- Comfort items like stuffed animals or blankets may help kids during their wait. The best items are ones that can be laundered after your visit.
- Medicines for fever or pain can be given prior to your visit. Review the dosing guide or check with your physician’s office.
- Check with your triage nurse first. If your child is cleared to eat or drink, vending machines are available near the emergency department.
- Bring chargers for electronic devices.
As a Pediatric Level 1 Trauma Center, the Dana Brown Emergency Room offers the highest level of pediatric emergency care available.
A specially trained team of physicians, nurses and specialists are ready when your child needs expert medical care for a health emergency.
Night or day, 24/7, we treat all injuries and illnesses, from fevers and fractures to spine and head injuries.
Why Choose the Dana Brown Emergency Room?
At the Dana Brown Emergency Room, everything is kid-focused. All of our emergency room physicians have special training in pediatric emergency medicine or trauma. Our team specializes in providing “ouchless care” and making the experience less stressful. When it comes to your child’s care, we wouldn’t think of providing anything less. Learn more.Learn More
We offer world-class care to children thanks in part to generous gifts from hundreds of people who have joined us in making health care better for all children. This philanthropic support enables us to fulfill our mission to do what's right for kids.