The St. Louis Children's Hospital advocacy program strives to translate the hospital's advocacy mission into actionable plans and initiatives involving many constituents -- employees, medical staff, donors and families in the region.
In order to fulfill its mission to "Do What is Right for Kids", St. Louis Children's Hospital has made a commitment to ongoing advocacy, beyond the hospital setting. The Child Health Advocacy and Outreach department provides health-related resources and education to families and communities in the St. Louis region to help keep them healthy and safe.
Community Health Initiatives
- Healthy Kids Express™- This mobile van program is designed to bring health care to children in need throughout St. Louis City, the surrounding counties, and the Metro East. Each year, approximately 20,000 children and teens receive a range of services including hearing and vision screenings, dental and asthma care.
- Food Allergy Management and Education (FAME) - a comprehensive school-based food allergy program which addresses the growing safety and public health concern of children at risk for life-threatening reactions from food allergy.
Injury Prevention Initiatives
- Injury-Free Coalition for Kids - The day after a young boy came to the emergency unit at St. Louis Children's Hospital with gunshot wounds, emergency doctors and nurses discussed the need to give children safer places to play and to teach children and families how to avoid preventable injuries. This incident launched the hospital's comprehensive injury prevention program.
The Injury Free Coalition for Kids of St. Louis is a chapter of a nationwide program that is among the country's fastest growing and most effective injury prevention programs. The Injury Free Coalition for Kids is composed of hospital-based, community-oriented programs anchored in research, education and advocacy. Injury Free St. Louis encompasses several injury prevention initiatives, including Safety Street and Safety Stop.
- Safety Street - Safety Street is a program that allows kindergarten through fifth grade students to experience potential street hazards in a controlled, safe learning environment. It is a life-sized cityscape, complete with homes, cars, a school bus, stray dogs, strangers and more.
- Safety Stop - Parents and caregivers can receive safety inspections and consultations for car seats, helmets and home safety from our trained safety experts. A limited selection of car seats, helmets and home safety equipment is available for purchase at a discounted price as part of a Safety Stop appointment.
- Head to Toe Program - A unique approach to weight management that teaches youth (ages 8-17) how to live healthier lives by eating right and exercising regularly. While building self-esteem, kids engage in fun physical activities and learn about proper nutrition.
- Teen Outreach Program (TOP) - An evidence-based best practice program used by schools and communities to empower teens to lead successful lives and build strong communities.
We offer world-class care to children thanks in part to generous gifts from hundreds of people who have joined us as Guardians of Childhood. This philanthropic support enabled us to fulfill our mission to do what's right for kids. Join us in making health care better for all children.