|Child's weight (pounds)||12-17||18-23||24-35||36-47||48-59||60-71||72-95||96+||lbs|
|Infant Drops 50 mg/ 1.25 mL||1.25||1.875||2.5||3.75||5||--||--||--||mL|
|Liquid 100 mg/ 5 milliliters (mL)||2.5||3.75||5||7.5||10||12.5||15||20||mL|
|Liquid 100 mg/ 1 teaspoon (tsp)||½||¾||1||1½||2||2½||3||4||tsp|
|Chewable 100 mg tablets||--||--||1||1½||2||2½||3||4||tabs|
|Junior-strength 100 mg tablets||--||--||--||--||2||2½||3||4||tabs|
|Adult 200 mg tablets||--||--||--||--||1||1||1½||2||tabs|
When to Use. Treatment of fever and pain.
- Age Limits. Don't use under 6 months of age unless told by your child's doctor. Reason: safety not established and not approved by FDA.
- Dose. Find the child's weight in the top row of the dose table. Look below the correct weight for the dose based on the product you have.
- Measure the Dose. Syringes and droppers are more accurate than teaspoons. If possible, use the syringe or dropper that comes with the medicine. If not, you can get a med syringe at drug stores. If you use a teaspoon, it should be a measuring spoon. Reason: regular spoons are not reliable. Keep in mind 1 level teaspoon equals 5 mL and that ½ teaspoon equals 2.5 mL.
- Infant Drops. Ibuprofen infant drops come with a syringe.
- How Often. Repeat every 6-8 hours as needed.
- Adult Dose. 400 mg
- Adult Daily Maximum Dose. 1,200 mg in 24 hours. (Unless directed by a health care provider.)
- Brand Names. Motrin, Advil, generic ibuprofen
- Use in Countries Outside the U.S. Dose tables are based on U.S. products. Concentrations may vary in countries outside the U.S. Always check the concentration is the same before using this dose table.
Copyright 2000-2021 Schmitt Pediatric Guidelines LLC.