Establishing healthy habits now for your child or teen can help lower their risk of developing cancer as an adult. Start today with these easy tips:
- Eat a healthy diet- Choose lots of fruits, veggies and whole grains.
- Don't smoke and avoid secondhand smoke- Visit teen.smokefree.gov for tips and guidelines.
- Use sunscreen, wear sun-safe clothes and avoid tanning beds.
- Get moving- Take trips to the playground, go for walks in your neighborhood or play a sport.
- Protect against HPV- Get girls and boys vaccinated against cancer-causing HPV around 11 or 12.
- Avoid too much screen time- Limit tablet, phone and computer use to less than two hours daily.
- Keep track of weight- Know the healthy growth ranges for your child.