Having a child needing a kidney transplant can feel overwhelming. We have over 50 years of experience and expertise to help support you and your family through this journey.
Trailblazers in pediatric kidney transplant
St. Louis Children's Hospital performed its first kidney transplant in 1964, prior to establishing its full kidney transplant program in 1970. Thanks to research and surgical innovations developed over the past 50 years, kidney transplantation has become the preferred treatment for end-stage kidney disease. Kidney transplantation can dramatically improve the life expectancy and quality of life for children with end-stage kidney disease. This is due to improvements in immunosuppressive therapy that prolongs kidney transplant survival while minimizing side effects and risk of post-transplant complications.
Our Approach to Kidney Transplantation
Our primary goal is to perform successful kidney transplantation for children that will sustain them throughout their lives. We are dedicated to addressing your concerns and partnering with you in your child’s care before, during, and after surgery.
Our approach for successful kidney transplantation includes:
- Collaborating with your pediatrician, pediatric nephrologist, and dialysis team to ensure your child and your family is ready for transplant.
- Coordinating our multi-disciplinary team to evaluate your child for a kidney transplant and identify any unique needs before, during, or after the transplant.
- Helping you keep your child in optimal health while awaiting kidney transplant surgery.
- Keeping you updated during the transplant surgery with pictures and texts.
- Providing excellent care after surgery to rebuild your child’s health and strength.
- Partnering with you and your child for the best post-transplant outcomes.
- Your child will be closely followed by our transplant team through routine visits and lab work.
- Preparing your child for transition to an adult transplant program by starting the readiness process in their early teen years to boost success for your child and family.
We offer world-class care to children thanks in part to generous gifts from hundreds of people who have joined us in making health care better for all children. This philanthropic support enables us to fulfill our mission to do what's right for kids.