The eye care experts at St. Louis Children's Hospital work together to provide the most comprehensive care possible. Whenever necessary, pediatric ophthalmologists consult with other physicians, technicians, surgeons and specialists in a multidisciplinary approach. The Children's Eye Center nurses and technicians are well-trained professionals dedicated to providing the best care available, all with the comforting touch of those who are committed to helping children.
The Children's Eye Center treats visual disorders that occur in infants and children, from refractive error and eye crossing to cataracts and tumors. Evaluation early in infancy and childhood is strongly encouraged, especially for children who were premature, have developmental delay or have a family history of an eye disorder.
- Eye crossing (strabismus)
- Eye movement disorders (nystagmus)
- Down Syndrome, cerebral palsy and cortical blindness
- Photorefraction and screening for amblyopia
- Retinopathy of prematurity, retinal malformations, retinoblastoma and optic nerve disorders
- Cataracts and glaucoma
- Drooping or misshapen eyelids and hemangiomas
- Tear duct disorders
- Orbital infections and tumors
- Disorders of eye movements and double vision
- Pediatric Refractive Surgery, PRK, lasek and lensectomy
- Visually evoked potentials
- Eye tracking and nystagmus recording
- Visual field testing
- Color vision testing
- Depth perception and binocular fusion tests
- State-of-the-art testing for amblyopia and eye movement disorders in early childhood
- Photorefractive and laser assisted surgery to correct extreme focusing problems
We offer world-class care to children thanks in part to generous gifts from hundreds of people who have joined us as Guardians of Childhood. This philanthropic support enabled us to fulfill our mission to do what's right for kids. Join us in making health care better for all children.