If your child has an arrhythmia (abnormal heart rate or rhythm), you want an expert team to provide the best treatment available. At the St. Louis Children’s and Washington University Heart Center, our pediatric heart specialists treat children with all types of arrhythmias, including the most complex cases.
What Is Arrhythmia?
Arrhythmia describes a group of conditions related to the heart’s electrical system. Different types of arrhythmias cause the heart to beat too fast, too slow or in an irregular pattern.
Some types of arrhythmias result from a congenital heart defect (a heart problem since birth), and others can develop later in life. Those caused by congenital defects can be life threatening, so it is critical to seek expert care for your child to prevent serious complications.
Arrhythmia Care: Why Choose The Heart Center?
Our arrhythmia program is one of the ten largest programs in the nation and the largest in the Midwest. We are committed to providing the highest standards in arrhythmia care for your child.
Parents bring their children to The Heart Center for a variety of reasons:
- Broad and deep experience: Because we see such a high variety of cases, we are more equipped than other centers to manage and care for children with arrhythmia.
- Nationally recognized expertise: Our doctors are world-renowned for their skills and ability in treating arrhythmia, experience that we put to work for the best possible outcome for your child.
- Specialized genetic services: For children and families who have a genetic risk of life-threatening arrhythmias, we offer the latest genetic counseling and testing to provide options for treating and managing the condition.
- Trusted experts: We advise pediatric cardiologists around the country, many of whom refer their arrhythmia patients to us because they know we provide the highest level of care and knowledge.
- Innovative approach to care: We are constantly improving our procedures for treating children with arrhythmia, for less invasive procedures and faster recovery times.
Arrhythmia Services We Offer
We offer a comprehensive range of services for diagnosing and treating arrhythmia, including:
- 3-D imaging: We use several types of advanced diagnostic technologies to obtain detailed images of the electrical activity of the heart from all angles. 3-D imaging helps us evaluate the heart’s health and function and map the source of arrhythmias.
- Implantable loop recorder: This tiny device, implanted just under the skin on the chest, measures the heart’s electrical activity for up to three years, to help diagnose arrhythmias.
- Pacemakers and implantable cardioverter defibrillators (ICD): We use minimally invasive procedures to implant these devices to control abnormal heart rates and rhythms.
- Radiofrequency ablation and cryoablation: These catheter-based treatments target and treat tiny areas of heart tissue that cause arrhythmia.
- Inherited arrhythmia clinic: If life-threatening arrhythmias run in your family, we offer special genetic testing to help you learn about your child’s risk.