Children diagnosed with bleeding disorders can lead safe and full lives when they receive proper treatment and manage their conditions.
The Bleeding Disorders Center at St. Louis Children’s Hospital provides you and your child with the education, support and empowerment you need to help your child navigate treatment — and all of life’s possibilities — safely.
As a federally designated hemophilia treatment center, we provide specialized care for patients with bleeding disorders. Our Bleeding Disorders Center offers:
- A team of specialists that delivers comprehensive, individualized care
- Family-centered treatment with expert assistance for managing the challenges of a bleeding disorder
- Information and guidance geared to your child’s age and abilities
What Are Bleeding Disorders?
Bleeding disorders, a subset of blood disorders, describe conditions in which blood does not clot properly, leading to excessive bleeding. Two of the most common bleeding disorders are hemophilia and von Willebrand disease.
Bleeding disorders we treat
We treat children with bleeding disorders, including:
Pediatric bleeding disorder treatment
Treatments are usually given through intravenous (IV) infusion. Common treatments include:
- Clotting factor replacement therapy: This therapy helps blood clot properly in patients with hemophilia and other bleeding disorders.
- Blood transfusions: Donated blood is infused into the patient’s bloodstream to increase blood count after a major bleeding episode.
- Platelet transfusions: Donated platelets are infused to help support blood clotting.
Contact the Bleeding Disorders Center
Call 800.678.5437 to make an appointment or request an appointment online.
Why Choose the Bleeding Disorders Center
Coordinated care management and comprehensive education are two key elements in living fully and safely with a bleeding disorder. At the Bleeding Disorders Center, we focus on these key elements so that you and your child can live safely, independently, and free of worry. Through our relentless drive to find the best therapies available, we can provide you and your child the most up-to-date, safest options for treating bleeding disorders.Learn More