Child Life Services understands the need for normal play experiences and socialization. Child Life promotes the use of the Child Life Playroom and Teen Lounge, and engages in bedside activities with patients who are unable to participate in supervised play sessions.
The Importance of Play at Every Age During Hospitalization
- Teaches children to self-regulate and promotes relaxation during various health care events
- Allows children to process their emotions, feelings, and experiences
- Allows expression of their wants and needs
- Develops a sense of empowerment and competence
- Offers caregivers and staff an opportunity to observe patient's coping in the context of their health care experience