A typical visit to the Motion Analysis Center takes 2.5 to 3 hours. You are encouraged and welcome to stay with your child.
Your child’s motion analysis includes:
- A physical examination
- Use of reflective markers and muscle-activity sensors, applied with clear tape and sensor-sticky pad
- Standing and walking trials to gather data recorded by specialized cameras and force plates
What to Bring
Be sure to bring:
- All current walking aides: orthotics/braces, crutches, walkers, canes, etc.
- All completed questionnaires—two or three depending on your child’s age—included in the packet provided to you prior to your visit.
- Optional—You may bring any familiar small toys, books or devices that will make your child comfortable. Cameras are welcome.
What to Wear
To capture your child’s walking, both legs, top of shoulders and hip/pelvis must be visible. Preferred clothing for girls is a two-piece swimsuit or sports bra and loose-fitting shorts with elastic waist. Preferred clothing for boys is a tank top and loose-fitting shorts with elastic waist. It is important your child feels comfortable.
Arrival and Check-In
Please check in at the St. Louis Children's Hospital fourth floor therapy department registration at least 30 minutes before your scheduled appointment. You will be directed to the Motion Analysis Center. Validated parking is available.