The multidisciplinary Spina Bifida Clinic at St. Louis Children’s Hospital brings together in one place the specialists who are important to the care of children with spina bifida. In just one day, patients can see a:
- Orthopedic surgeon
- Physical therapist
- Occupational therapist
- Orthotist (medical professional who makes and fits braces and splints)
- Equipment specialist
- Social worker
This comprehensive, multidisciplinary approach:
- Makes doctor visits easy and convenient.
- Promotes communication between our specialist and your physician, which leads to a
comprehensive, individualized patient treatment plan.
- The spina bifida clinical nurse coordinator helps patients’ caregivers determine the medical/support services needed.
- All physician and medical specialist appointments are made on the same day and in the same location.
- Lab work, imaging studies and other testing are scheduled on the same day as and prior to clinic appointments.
- Patients with pressure sores or other serious wounds are seen by PAWS (Pediatric Acute Wound Service).
- Clinic appointments are available the second and fourth Tuesday of the month, 1 p.m. to 4 p.m., in Suite 2A, second floor of St. Louis Children’s Hospital.
We offer world-class care to children thanks in part to generous gifts from hundreds of people who have joined us as Guardians of Childhood. This philanthropic support enabled us to fulfill our mission to do what's right for kids. Join us in making health care better for all children.