Urology specialists provide treatment and care for the function and disorders of the urinary system.
The urology specialists at St. Louis Children's Hospital carry out some of the most technologically advanced procedures when treating children, due to the hospital's affiliation with the world-renowned Washington University School of Medicine.
Children are treated with noninvasive procedures whenever possible. When invasive measures are required, endoscopic and laparoscopic techniques are used to the extent possible to reduce morbidity and decrease recovery time. Special anesthetics and sedation are also used to relieve the children's anxiety and pain. The majority of interventions are performed on an outpatient basis.
St. Louis Children’s Hospital is one of only a few pediatric facilities in the country—and the only one in the St. Louis region—to offer robotic surgery for children needing urologic procedures. In most of these cases, the children experience less pain, heal faster and benefit from stronger restoration than with the standard open surgical techniques.
- Tumors of the kidney, bladder and testicles
- Urinary tract infections
- Vesicoureteral reflux
- Urinary incontinence
- Undescended testes
- Antenatally detected hydronephrosis
- Obstructive uropathy
- Anomalies of external genitalia
- Surgical aspects of disorders of sexual differentiation (DSD)
- Hydroceles / hernias
- Bladder exstrophy and epispadias
- Cloacal and urogenital sinus anomalies
- Spina bifida related conditions
- Myelomeningocele and neurogenic bladder
- Incomplete bladder emptying
- Nocturnal enuresis
- Urinary frequency
- Medical and surgical management of kidney and ureteral stones
We offer world-class care to children thanks in part to generous gifts from hundreds of people who have joined us as Guardians of Childhood. This philanthropic support enables us to fulfill our mission to do what's right for kids. Join us in making health care better for all children.