|Child's weight (pounds)||6-11||12-17||18-23||24-35||36-47||48-59||60-71||72-95||96+||lbs|
|Liquid 160 mg/ 5 milliliters (mL)||1.25||2.5||3.75||5||7.5||10||12.5||15||20||mL|
|Liquid 160 mg/ 1 teaspoon (tsp)||--||½||¾||1||1½||2||2½||3||4||tsp|
|Chewable 160 mg tablets||--||--||--||1||1½||2||2½||3||4||tabs|
|Adult 325 mg tablets||--||--||--||--||--||1||1||1½||2||tabs|
|Adult 500 mg tablets||--||--||--||--||--||--||--||1||1||tab|
When to Use: Treatment of fever and pain.
Caution: Acetaminophen (Tylenol) can be found in many prescription and over-the-counter medicines. Read the labels to be sure your child is not getting it from 2 products. If you have questions, call your child's doctor.
- Age Limits. Don't use under 12 weeks of age unless told by child's doctor. Reason: fever in the first 12 weeks of life needs to be seen now. If present, your baby needs a medical exam now. Exception: Fever starting within 24 hours of vaccines if child is 8 weeks of age or older. If under 6 years, don't give products with more than one ingredient in them (FDA recommendation 2008).
- Dose. Find the child's weight in the top row of the dose table. Look below the correct weight for the dose based on the product you have.
- Measure the Dose. Syringes and droppers are better to use than teaspoons. If possible, use the syringe or dropper that comes with the medicine. If not, you can get a med syringe at a drug store. If you use a teaspoon, it should be a measuring spoon. Reason: regular spoons are not reliable. Keep in mind 1 level teaspoon equals 5 mL and that ½ teaspoon equals 2.5 mL.
- How Often. Repeat every 4-6 hours as needed. Don't give more than 5 times a day.
- Adult Dose. 500-650 mg
- Adult Daily Maximum. 3,000 mg in 24 hours
- Brand Names. Tylenol, Feverall (suppositories), generic acetaminophen Suppositories. Come in 80, 120, 325 and 650 mg. The rectal dose is the same as the dose given by mouth.
- Extended-Release. Do not use 650 mg oral products in children. Reason: they are every 8-hour extended-release.
- Use in Countries Outside the U.S. Dose tables are based on U.S. products. Concentrations may vary in countries outside the U.S. Always check the concentration is the same before using this dose table.
Copyright 2000-2021 Schmitt Pediatric Guidelines LLC.