If your child has been diagnosed with a heart condition, you may want a second opinion for extra reassurance that you are on the right care path. At the St. Louis Children’s and Washington University Heart Center, we offer second opinions from some of the most talented pediatric cardiologists and cardiac surgeons in the nation – with no referral.
What We Offer for Second Opinions
You can access the expertise of our world-renowned pediatric heart specialists in a fast, responsive process that includes:
- Quick coordination of appointments with our pediatric heart specialists
- Same-week appointments, unless your child needs a subspecialist’s opinion
- Rush consultations, such as next-day appointments, in special emergency cases
- Same-day availability for most tests, which we can perform on-site, at the time of your visit
- Coordination of ongoing care with your child’s current pediatrician or pediatric cardiologist, including communication of our evaluation and any new test results
- Up-to-date knowledge of the latest advancements in surgical and medical diagnosis, treatment and technology
Second Opinion Story: Desmond Coleman (Rochester, NY) received life-saving Potts Shunt after being turned down by other hospitals. Read more...
Do You Need a Second Opinion for a Heart Diagnosis?
We can provide a second opinion for children who have received a diagnosis of any heart condition, or if a doctor has said that they need a heart-related procedure such as:
- Cardiac catheterization
- Catheter ablation for arrhythmia
- Electrophysiology study
- Heart surgery
- Pacemaker or implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD) insertion
Other common reasons for seeking a second opinion with us may include:
- Assurance that you have explored every treatment option
- Confirmation that a medication regimen is right for your child
- Evaluation of new symptoms that your child is experiencing after heart surgery
- Questions about new technology or procedures that may not be available in your area
What to Expect During Your Visit
A second opinion consultation at our Heart Center usually involves the following steps:
- Our doctor looks closely at your child’s initial diagnosis, test results, images and prior medical history.
- When additional testing is necessary, we can often perform the tests during your visit.
- If we cannot perform same-day tests, we help you schedule another appointment.
- If your child’s condition requires the opinion of a subspecialist with limited availability, we can help you schedule another appointment with the subspecialist.
- At the end of your visit, our doctor takes the time to give you the second opinion in person, answer your questions and help you understand all your options.
Should You Seek Treatment at St. Louis Children’s Hospital?
Seeking a second opinion from The Heart Center does not mean that you have to transfer your child’s care and treatment to us. We offer second opinions to help ensure that your child receives the right treatment – avoiding any unnecessary procedures and risk of additional complications.
Most of the time, we are happy to confirm that you are on the right path with your current doctor or care center. In many cases, children may have better recoveries with treatment closer to home or a pediatric cardiologist who knows them well.
We also send our evaluation to your pediatrician or the doctor who performed your first consultation. If your pediatrician or cardiologist has questions about our evaluation, our doctors are happy to speak with them by phone.
If you do wish to seek treatment for your child with us, you can learn more about the many programs and services we offer through The Heart Center.
Schedule a Second Opinion
Contact us to make an appointment or find out more about getting a second opinion from experts at The Heart Center - call 314.454.5437 or 800.678.5437 or email us.