The St. Louis Children's Hospital nephrology program respects the special needs of children and is designed to foster the most positive physical, psychosocial and educational development in children with renal disorders. Treatment programs are geared specifically to promote understanding, interaction and independence for both the children and the family.
Throughout diagnosis and treatment, physicians and staff members in the nephrology unit are dedicated to providing the most up-to-date and comprehensive care available. In addition, their goal is to continually educate parents and patients to help them gain a solid understanding of all care provided and procedures performed.
The pediatric nephrology program works closely with outstanding programs in Adult Nephrology, Pediatric Urology, Transplant Surgery, Pediatric Cardiology, and Pediatric Rheumatology.
From our group, the following doctors have been regularly selected (by confidential peer nomination only) in the list of Best Doctors in America:
- Dr. Keith Hruska - continuously from 2004 to 2020
- Dr. Paul Hmiel - continuously from 2005 to 2020
- Dr. Vikas Dharnidharka - continuously from 2007 to 2020
- Dr. Tara Neumayr – from 2019-2020
- Dr. Carmen Halabi – from 2019-2020
Take a virtual tour of the Dialysis Unit
The Renal Program at St. Louis Children's Hospital provides comprehensive diagnosis and treatment for all congenital and acquired kidney diseases in children and adolescents, including:
- High blood pressure
- Urinary tract infections and enuresis
- Fluid and electrolyte disorders
- Acute and chronic renal failure, including acute and chronic dialysis
- Renal transplantation
The best course of treatment for a child is determined after a diagnosis is made by the physician. Treatment plans may include:
- Outpatient diagnostic evaluation and ongoing care
- 24-hour care by pediatric renal specialists
- Specialized laboratory tests
- Educational programs tailored to children and their families
- Renal dietary counseling
- Personal and family counseling
- 24 hour ambulatory blood pressure monitoring
- Hemodialysis (acute and chronic)
- Peritoneal Dialysis (acute and chronic)
- Aquapheresis, including a modified Aquapheresis for newborns
- Plasma and Cell Apheresis and photopheresis
- Pulse wave analysis
- Renal Transplant
We offer world-class care to children thanks in part to generous gifts from hundreds of people who have joined us in making health care better for all children. This philanthropic support enables us to fulfill our mission to do what's right for kids.