Having your child referred for liver transplant can feel overwhelming. Our team at St. Louis Children’s Hospital, in partnership with Washington University, has the expertise, specialized care, and resources you and your family need. Our mission is to provide comprehensive evaluation, treatment and care for children with all forms of liver disease, including those with end-stage or potentially fatal liver diseases requiring life-saving liver transplant.
Liver Transplant Program
Our liver transplant program was established in 1985 and has performed over 350 liver transplants, including complex dual organ transplants and split-liver transplants, and features one of the few pediatric living donor liver transplant programs in North America. All of our liver transplant techniques enable maximal use of donor resources in both adults and children, allowing many patients to have a reduced wait time as compared to the national average. We proudly partner with Barnes-Jewish Hospital to evaluate potential adult living donors for our patients.
Our Approach to Liver Transplantation
Our primary goal is successful procedures that give children new livers that will sustain them throughout their active, healthy lives. We are dedicated to addressing your concerns and partnering with you in your child’s care before, during, and after surgery.
- Engaging you and your family prior to your visit to emotionally prepare you on the next steps
- Assisting in coordination of travel and lodging needs during your visit
- Having our multi-disciplinary team work closely with you to prepare your child for a liver transplant
- Supporting you to keep your child in optimal health while waiting for transplant including collaboration with your primary care provider
- Creating an individualized, presurgical brief on your child’s case, which we review with our team of liver specialists
- Keeping you updated during the transplant with pictures and texts
- Providing excellent post-surgery care to rebuild your child’s health and strength
- Partnering with you and your child for the best post-transplant outcomes via clinic and telehealth visits and coordination with your referring doctor
- Preparing your child for transition to an adult transplant program by starting the readiness process years in advance to boost success for your child and family
We offer world-class care to children thanks in part to generous gifts from hundreds of people who have joined us in making health care better for all children. This philanthropic support enables us to fulfill our mission to do what's right for kids.