The occupational and physical therapists at St. Louis Children’s Hospital have extensive experience with pediatric burns and assist the hospital’s expert burn team of physicians, nurses, dietitians, psychologists and child life specialists in providing comprehensive, compassionate care for pediatric burns injuries.
Therapy services for Burn Clinic patients:
- Therapy begins the day a child is admitted, and standard goals include resuming optimal functioning in a normal environment and minimizing scarring. Scar management is important because scarring is not only disfiguring, but may also limit movement.
- Our pediatric therapists understand a child’s normal growth and development and incorporate that knowledge into the expectations and treatment for a child. Therapy includes age-appropriate play and materials to better motivate and rehabilitate a child.
- Treatment is provided during dressing changes when dressings do not limit range of motion. Treatment may also be provided in our therapy gym to encourage play in a child-friendly environment.
- Therapists follow your child throughout the healing process as inpatients and as outpatients, including in the Burn Clinic setting.
- Healing from burns may be a lengthy process and the impact of a child’s burns affects his or her whole family. To help with coping, the staff at St. Louis Children's Hospital provides ongoing family education and support and works to make the child and his or her family more comfortable throughout the entire healing process.