The Washington University Transgender Center at St. Louis Children's Hospital is designed to be a safe and affirming space where kids and young adults can express who they are. When you make an appointment with us, we’ll take a personalized approach that addresses your specific needs.
Our mission is to provide care to kids and young adults who identify as transgender, gender non-conforming, non-binary or genderqueer. Our team includes providers in psychology, psychiatry, endocrinology and adolescent medicine, among other professionals who focus on transgender health. We aim to make every patient feel heard and valued.
Washington University physicians will no longer prescribe puberty blockers or cross-sex hormones to minors for purposes of gender transition. Patients who are currently receiving this care will be referred to other providers for these services. The Center will focus on education and mental health support for all patients and medical care for patients over the age of 18.
- Patient education and discussion of possible options. When appropriate, determining the best transition plan for each person. For some, adjustments in gender expression — preferred name and pronouns, makeup, hair, voice, clothing and/or behavior — are enough.
- Referrals to our psychologists and therapists in the community for gender dysphoria, low self-esteem and other issues; and psychiatric evaluation and treatment for depression, anxiety, eating disorders, PTSD and other complex mental health conditions.
- Voice and speech therapy to achieve gender-consistent speech, including pitch, intonation and quality.
- Assistance navigating issues around gender identity.
- Referrals to community resources and support groups that empower parents and guardians.
Request an Appointment or Make a Referral
The Transgender Center accepts self-referrals or patients from referring physicians. Contact us to make an appointment, or speak with your primary care provider.
We offer world-class care to children thanks in part to generous gifts from hundreds of people who have joined us in making health care better for all children. This philanthropic support enables us to fulfill our mission to do what's right for kids.