The Washington University Transgender Center at St. Louis Children's Hospital is designed to be a safe and affirming space where kids and young adults can express who they are. When you make an appointment with us, we’ll take a personalized approach that addresses your specific needs.
Our mission is to provide all-encompassing care to kids and young adults who identify as transgender, gender non-conforming, non-binary or genderqueer. Our team includes providers in psychology, psychiatry, endocrinology and adolescent medicine, among other professionals who focus on transgender health. We aim to make every patient feel heard and valued.
Our Approach to Gender Affirming Care
Gender affirming care is the gold standard of pediatric gender care. Research shows that when transgender kids receive support that upholds their gender identity, they have better mental health. Not receiving that support puts their physical and mental health at risk.
Gender affirming care isn’t meant to influence people in any particular direction. We don’t “treat” anyone’s identity or tell anyone what they should or shouldn’t do.
We’re here to educate you about your options and help you decide which path is best.
Washington University School of Medicine and St. Louis Children’s Hospital—both ranked nationally as leaders in their fields— offer the most advanced treatment and care based on current research and practice.
In order to determine the ideal ways we can help patients, our case manager will discuss your needs and services we can provide. This may mean a referral to a therapist in the community, an appointment for family education on gender transition with one of our psychologist and/or an appointment with one of our medical providers.
Our services include:
- Patient education to determine the best transitioning plan for each person. For some, adjustments in gender expression — preferred name and pronouns, makeup, hair, voice, clothing and/or behavior — are enough.
- Puberty blockers, which delay puberty and suppress the development or progression of unwanted and irreversible secondary sexual characteristics.
- Hormone therapy to help a person’s body match their gender identity.
- Menstrual Suppression through the use of contraceptive options to help alleviate some dysphoria symptoms.
- Referrals to our psychologists and therapists in the community for gender dysphoria, low self-esteem and other issues; and psychiatric evaluation and treatment for depression, anxiety, eating disorders, PTSD and other complex mental health conditions.
- Voice and speech therapy to achieve gender-consistent speech, including pitch, intonation and quality.
- Assistance navigating issues around gender identity in school systems
- Referrals to community resources and support groups that empower parents and guardians.
In 2017, the Washington University School of Medicine’s Division of Endocrinology and Division of Adolescent Medicine came together to form the Transgender Center to better address the needs of transgender patients, based on the following trends:
- Referrals for gender care were on the rise
- Dedicated services for gender non-conforming patients were lacking in our community
- Need for care of the whole child: In addition to comprehensive medical and mental health care, we offer case management services and an educational liaison who helps kids with gender affirmation in school settings.
Request an Appointment or Make a Referral
The Transgender Center accepts self-referrals or patients from referring physicians. Contact us to make an appointment, or speak with your primary care provider.
Why Choose the Transgender Center?
We believe in gender affirming care. Our team partners with patients to discuss options and help figure out the best path forward. From hormone therapy to surgery referrals to comprehensive mental health care, we provide services to support every patient’s goals.
Learn what makes the Transgender Center Unique
We offer world-class care to children thanks in part to generous gifts from hundreds of people who have joined us in making health care better for all children. This philanthropic support enables us to fulfill our mission to do what's right for kids.