The Child Life practicum experience at St. Louis Children's Hospital is designed to expose the practicum student to the Child Life profession through observation and supervised participation. The Practicum student is supervised by a Certified Child Life Specialist and will have responsibilities that include:
- shadowing Certified Child Life Specialists
- observation of medical play
- procedural support
- supervising the Playroom & Teen Lounge
- making bedside visits to patients
Practicums are offered in the Spring and Summer semesters. The practicum student is required to complete two rotations consisting of three 8 hour days per week for 7 weeks, which will total 168 hours of experience. If more hours are required by your University, please addresses this with the Practicum Supervisor.
Practicum Application Process
To apply for a practicum in our department, students must meet the following requirements:
- 50 hours working with children in the healthcare setting (While all volunteering in a healthcare setting will be accepted, preference will be given to candidates completing their hours with a pediatric population.)
- 50 hours working with well children
- minimum of junior year status in bachelor degree program in Child Life or a related field
- minimum of 5 courses in child development or related field
To submit application please include the following:
- Completed practicum application
- Cover letter
- A copy of your university transcript, official or student issued. Web based transcripts will not be accepted.
- A current resume
Save the above requiremtns in PDF file as "first name, last name.semester year.practicum application" (example: MelodyDeWeese.summer2019.practicumapplication.pdf) and submit the above requirements electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Practicum Application Deadlines
|Semester||Application Deadlines||Offer Deadlines||Acceptance Deadlines|
|Spring Semester||October 15||November 15||November 30|
|Summer Semester||February 15||March 15||March 31|