TIPS to keep your child safe and secure as a passenger in the back seat of your car:
- Never intentionally leave a child alone in a car – not even for a minute.
- Always lock your parked car and teach your child never to play or hide in cars.
- Establish a routine of checking the back seat every time you exit the car just to make sure no one is left behind.
- Be extra alert when there is a change in your routine. Even a small change can have devastating consequences.
- Put your child’s things, such as a diaper bag or small toy, in the front seat as a constant reminder of his/her presence even when you cannot see or hear them.
- Use a memory device, such as a stuffed bear or other soft item that reminds you of your child. Keep the item in the car seat or infant seat's base when child is not in the car. Move the item to front of vehicle when child is with you. The item is a visible reminder the child is with you.
- Place your purse, cell phone, or other personal item in a secure place in back of car to provide one more reasons to check the back seat.
- Ask your child care provider to call you if your child is late.
- Develop a standard way to communicate with the other parent or loved one each time the child is dropped off with a child care provider.
- Call 911 immediately if you see a child alone in a car.
These tips are important all year round.