TIPS to keep your child safe and secure as a passenger in the back seat of your car:
- Never intentionally leave a child alone in a car – not even for a minute.
- Always lock your parked car and teach your child never to play or hide in cars.
- Establish a routine of checking the back seat every time you exit the car just to make sure no one is left behind.
- Be extra alert when there is a change in your routine. Even a small change can have devastating consequences.
- Put your child’s things, such as a diaper bag or small toy, in the front seat as a constant reminder of his/her presence even when you cannot see or hear them.
- Use a memory device, such as a stuffed bear, hang tag or Sophie’s KISS lanyard. Move that item into and out of the car seat as a reminder.
- Place your purse, cell phone, or other personal items in the back seat near your child to provide one more reason to check the back seat.
- Ask your child care provider to call you if your child is late.
- Develop a standard way to communicate with the other parent or loved one each time the child is dropped off with a child care provider.
- Call 911 immediately if you see a child alone in a car.
These tips are important all year round.