The St. Louis Children’s and Washington University Heart Center met clinical qualifications to maintain its status as an Optum Congenital Heart Disease Center of Excellence. St. Louis Children’s Hospital (SLCH) is one of just 25 centers nationally with sufficient patient volume and experience to meet the Optum criteria. The Heart Center has been a Congenital Heart Disease Center of Excellence since 2011.
“It’s great to be recognized for everyone’s hard work,” says Anna Lawrence, RN, charge nurse. “Everything we do is for these patients, they’re so resilient. Day in and day out, they’re worth fighting for.”
“Thanks to everyone who provides care and service to our patients for their dedication and expertise,” says Shelley Perulfi, RN, director. “It takes a team, and we’re fortunate to have an amazing team.”
Optum’s network is developed through a detailed clinical evaluation process that recognizes only those medical centers and clinics that meet strict guidelines for clinically superior care including:
- Procedure success and survival rates
- Quality of medical professionals
- Number of patients treated with a specific condition
- Quality of patient/family-oriented services
- Involvement in clinical research
- Patient satisfaction survey results
- Program depth and breadth
- Treatment planning and coordination
To learn more about the Heart Center or to refer a patient, call Children’s Direct at 800.678.HELP (4357).