The Washington University Pediatric Epilepsy Center at St. Louis Children’s Hospital is one of the largest epilepsy programs of its kind. We offer world-class epilepsy care for children of all ages, from infancy to adolescence. We treat all types of epilepsy. Our experts diagnose and treat new-onset and complex forms of epilepsy. We use the full spectrum of the latest treatments, including neurostimulation and surgery.
Our team includes top pediatric epilepsy doctors in neurology, neurosurgery, neuropsychology and other medical disciplines. While we have different backgrounds, we share one common goal: We work tirelessly to match children with a treatment that reduces epilepsy’s impact and unleashes new possibilities for their lives.
Why Choose St. Louis Children’s Hospital for Your Child’s Epilepsy Care?
St. Louis Children’s Hospital is home to a Level 4 Comprehensive Epilepsy Center. This designation comes from the National Association of Epilepsy Centers. It means we offer the highest level of epilepsy diagnosis and treatment for children affected by seizures.
We offer families:
- Leading epilepsy expertise: Our epilepsy program has been ranked in the top 10 neuroscience programs in the U.S. This ranking illustrates our commitment to excellence in patient care. We pool our leading medical expertise to help minimize epilepsy’s impact on thousands of children’s lives. Meet our epilepsy specialists.
- Comprehensive diagnosis: Understanding your child’s seizures (where in the brain they start and what might be causing them) is key to reducing or eliminating seizures. We use sophisticated diagnostic tests, such as neuroimaging, genetic tests, and our Epilepsy Monitoring Unit, to safely learn more about your child’s seizures. A precise diagnosis brings us closer to the most effective treatment for your child.
- Full scope of the latest treatments: Many of our doctors are leaders in their field, staying up to date on — and sometimes developing — new medications or surgical techniques. Our neurosurgeons are skilled in minimally invasive surgery techniques that effectively treat epilepsy symptoms with less impact on your child’s life. Learn more about epilepsy treatments options.
- Team mindset: Doctors with different specialties work alongside support professionals to address all aspects of your child’s health. Sometimes that means families can see multiple specialists in one appointment. It always means your child’s treatment plan is the result of a team effort.
- Care for complex cases: Our epilepsy doctors specialize in treating the most complex and rare forms of epilepsy. We offer several clinics, such as the Pediatric Epilepsy Advanced Technologies Clinic, the Ketogenic Diet for Epilepsy Clinic, the Rett Spectrum Clinic, and the Tuberous Sclerosis Clinic. These programs are dedicated to meeting the unique needs of children with epilepsy. Learn more about our epilepsy specialty clinics.
A Family-Centered Approach to Treating Seizures in Children
Epilepsy can take a huge toll on children and families. We understand. Our physicians focus on you and your child, not the clock. We spend as much time with you as we need to ensure the right treatment plan for your child. Your family is at the center of everything we do.
We also aim to make the care process easier on you and your child. When possible, a nurse navigator helps gather your child’s previous test results from other providers to avoid duplicate testing. They also schedule appointments to help make your life easier.
Epilepsy affects every child differently. Finding the treatment that offers your child the most benefit is a nuanced process that may take time. You can trust our team’s commitment. We’re here to support you and your family, throughout your child’s care.
Learn more about what you can expect during diagnosis and treatment in our helpful guide to the patient journey.
Conditions We Treat
We offer world-class care to children thanks in part to generous gifts from hundreds of people who have joined us in making health care better for all children. This philanthropic support enables us to fulfill our mission to do what's right for kids.