St. Louis Children's Hospital and Washington University School of Medicine are pioneers in developing techniques now used to treat children with epilepsy. We have one of the largest and most comprehensive specialized epilepsy centers in the world, and our center is accredited by the National Association of Epilepsy Centers (NAEC) as a Level 4 epilepsy center. Level 4 epilepsy centers have the professional expertise and facilities to provide the highest-level medical and surgical evaluation and treatment for patients with complex epilepsy. Our Center provides care for about 4,000 children with epilepsy and seizure disorders.
The Pediatric Epilepsy Center offers a full range of clinical programs and services, including:
- New anti-epileptic drugs
- Ketogenic diet
- Vagal nerve stimulation
- The latest surgical procedures, such as:
- ROSA stereo EEG
- Monteris and Visualase laser ablation
- Invasive subdural electrode arrays and depth electrodes
- Multimodal integrated image-guided surgery
- Multiple subpial transections
- Gamma knife radiosurgery
- Temporal lobe and extra-temporal lobe focal resections
- Functional hemispherotomies
- Corpus callosum sections
- Responsive Neurostimulation/NeuroPace
- EEG source imaging (high density EEG)
This leading-edge care is delivered in a compassionate, family-centered environment sensitive to the special needs of children with epilepsy.
All of the clinical facilities of the Pediatric Epilepsy Center are located at St. Louis Children's Hospital, repeatedly ranked as one of the top children's hospitals in the United States. The state-of-the-art facilities and personnel include:
- A new EEG Laboratory with digital EEG systems
- An eight-bed EEG Monitoring Unit with digital EEG and digital video
- A group of specialized epilepsy nurses, dieticians, technicians and therapists
- Play and educational facilities dedicated to the special needs of children with epilepsy
Washington University Pediatric Epilepsy Center at St. Louis Children's Hospital is accredited by the NAEC as a Level 4 epilepsy center. Level 4 epilepsy centers have the professional expertise and facilities to provide the highest-level medical and surgical evaluation and treatment for patients with complex epilepsy.
The EEG Laboratory at St. Louis Children’s Hospital is nationally accredited by the EEG Laboratory Accreditation Board of ABRET (LAB-EEG). Accreditation means that the EEG Lab meets high technical standards and delivers quality diagnostics to aid in the care of your child.
We offer world-class care to children thanks in part to generous gifts from hundreds of people who have joined us as Guardians of Childhood. This philanthropic support enables us to fulfill our mission to do what's right for kids. Join us in making health care better for all children.